[Announce] [Fwd: (event) Introduce a Girl to Engineering Day 21 Feb (USA)]

Jenn Vesperman jenn at linuxchix.org
Wed Feb 20 18:49:58 EST 2002

-----Forwarded Message-----

From: Leah Dawn <leahdawn at mentorgirls.org>
To: jenn at linuxchix.org
Subject: (event) Introduce a Girl to Engineering Day 21 Feb (USA)
Date: 19 Feb 2002 15:09:46 -0800

Hi Jenn,

Any chance you'd send this to your group?  Thanks if so!  Hope you are well
and prospering!

10 Ways You Can Participate:

http://www.eweek.org/2002/News/Eweek/10ways.shtml

National Engineers Week (USA):
Without Engineers the World Stops - 17 to 23 February 2002
http://www.eweek.org/index.shtml - It's Elementary:
National Engineers Week Looks To Share Its Message With An Ever Younger
Audience Aiming to reach the very young with a message about the importance
of engineering, technology and science, National Engineers Week 2002 (USA)
plans to establish a nationwide training program for volunteer engineers to
work with 6- to 11-year-olds. Designed in conjunction with the popular PBS
television show ZOOM, the training will teach engineers how to use a new
hands-on activity kit that explores the fun and fascination of engineering.
Visit the activities roundup at:
http://www.eweek.org/2002/News/Eweek/roundup.shtml

Introduce a Girl to Engineering Day! 21 February 2002
http://www.eweek.org/2002/News/Eweek/girlsday.shtml
"As part of our focus on girls, we will publicize the need for more women in
engineering and will reach K-12 girls with positive messages about math and
science education and engineering careers. Additionally we are striving to
have engineering societies and other organizations incorporate their own
focus on women engineers with a hope that these various entities can
continue to collaborate in the future. For National Engineers Week 2002, the
engineering community is being asked to continue "Introduce a Girl to
Engineering Day." For this our second year, our goal is to have some 100
organizations, up from 90 last year, mobilize as many women in engineering
as possible - a target of 10,000 - who, along with their male colleagues,
will reach one million girls. "Introduce a Girl to Engineering Day"
culminates on February 21, 2002 during National Engineers Week. (We realize
that to accommodate tight schedules we need to be flexible and expect
participation to occur throughout the school year.) For additional
information and valuable resources, please visit our website..." And, Meet
fellow Engineers at:
http://www.eweek.org/2002/Engineers/theengineers/index.shtml

"Introduce a Girl to Engineering Day" is just the beginning. To help girls
and women continue to explore the field of engineering beyond "Girl Day" on
21 February 2002, Tufts University's School of Engineering, Women in
Engineering Program & Advocates Network (WEPAN), and the Society of Women
Engineers (SWE) will unveil a new Web site sponsored by the GE Fund, Women
in Engineering Organization. Created as a directory and resource of
engineering programs specifically for girls, college-level women, parents,
K-12 teachers, guidance counselors, college faculty, industry, and project
directors on both the local and national level, the site also includes an
awards section for programs of the month, a discussion board, and an easy
user interface to add an organization's programs to the site. For questions
and comments about the site contact Meghan McInnis meghan.mcinnis at tufts.edu.

Have FUN!

--Leah Dawn

Founder/Director, www.MentorGirls.org