[Actionchix] Don't forget to *VOTE* - ChixBits regular columns - closes Mon. Nov. 19th

Tricia Bowen tricia.bowen at gmail.com
Thu Nov 15 15:11:14 UTC 2007

My list of columns is a bit on the lengthy side. I went ahead and
grouped similar list items together. This brought the list to 10
beefier columns. It would be great to have an item for each of the ten
columns. That would give us a content rich magazine, but ultimately
that would depend on the number of volunteers we have and the amount
of time people have to dedicate to writing. Once we get pass this
stage of the planning game, we should probably try to solicit some
additional volunteers.
--Tricia

On Nov 14, 2007 2:15 PM, Selbak, Rolla N <rolla.n.selbak at intel.com> wrote:
> 1) How many regular columns should ChixBits have?  [CHOOSE ONE]
>
> A) Other

> 2) Which columns should they be? [CHOOSE AS MANY AS YOU VOTED IN
> QUESTION #1] - Also specify if you are volunteering for writing the
> column on a regular basis.

1. Upcoming Tech Events: > - A column that covers and lists women-tech events.

2. Featured Project of the Month: > - Open Source project of the month.

3. Tech Gadgets: > - Monthly feature on popular applications that you
maybe not know use
> open source software. > - New Linux-based gadgets to watch out for.

> - Popular Media: A column reviewing open source music, videos, etc.> - Coolest Linux art of the month - share art/themes.

4. How To: > - Linux advice column (where users submit their
questions, the columnist
> answers them). > - Column on How-To: How to create your own blog/journal (web-enabled vs > not web-enabled), how create graphics, etc. > - What I learned this month - share experiences / scenarios of things > broken and how it got fixed.>- A column answering newbie questions (either an advice column, or FAQ-style for common/expected questions).

4.5. Tech Tips: >- A programming column, without language favoritism
(eg, how to do X in perl; tools that do Y for ruby; neat ideas for
your java code; language-neutral tools for managing code...) >- Fix it
yourself - short how to on Linux utilities. >- What I learned this
month - share experiences / scenarios of things broken and how it got
fixed. >- Braindumps - Neat tips/ short tricks in Linux/ programming
languages (
Perl, OS).

5. Tools and Apps: >- Column on linux Development Tools: How people
are using these tools
and what projects they are using them for.>- Monthly feature on
popular applications that you maybe not know use
open source software.

6. Security: > - Internet safety & defending yourself (how to read
email headers, how
> to report abuse/harassment, etc.)

7. Op Eds: >- What's wrong with this picture?  (An examination of something
non-female-friendly in IT, its impacts, advantages of changing,
disadvantages of changing, not a rant, but a balanced, logical
examination of several sides of the issue, more identifying and
exploring than requiring action - designed to make people think and
respect each other)

8. Book Review: >- Books and Resources (multilingual)

9. Profiles: >- Women in Computing Profile

> 3) Regular columns will be published whenever-ready, non-regular columns
> will be published quarterly along with the most recent regular columns.
>
> A) Yes

--Tricia