[Actionchix] Status of new website

Katrina Owen binaryjane at gmail.com
Mon Mar 12 18:50:08 UTC 2007

Hi everyone,

I would like to participate in lessons (if there are any), and with
anything else I could be of assistance with. Last time around I
offered to help with cleaning up html, which I am pretty good at
(albeit manually), but the process didn't seem to get as far as that.

Let me share what I do know:

I have a pretty good understanding of HTML and CSS, and (woe and
behold) I debug/develope in PHP. I am very interested in usability and
good coding practices (my bookshelf includes such titles as 'Defensive
Design for the Web', 'Designing the Obvious', 'Designing with Web
Standards', and 'User-Centered Web Design').

I have spent the past year learning java from the very basics up, and
am about ready to start getting a good grip on servlets/JSP.

I would be happy to learn python, if the linuxchix website ends up using it.

I have some experience with databases, but my strong point there (for
the moment) is designing a solid datastructure. I can get stuff out
and put stuff in using SQL, but I keep having to remind myself of the
syntax. I expect to start working seriously on Java/JDBC within the
next couple of months.

I know absolutely nothing about networking and systems administration.

I guess that pretty much sums it up.

I really want to help out, but I think I need to be given pretty
specific tasks, because the larger process seems to go above my head.

With kind regards,
Katrina