[Actionchix] Meta: need for wiki

Akkana Peck akkana at shallowsky.com
Fri Aug 24 19:02:59 UTC 2007

Selbak, Rolla N writes:
> [ ... ] a Wiki model, in my opinion, is very light-weight and simple
> when it comes to content creation.  And I like the idea of promoting the
> 'final release' of things as a primary CMS item if needed.

I haven't used wikis all that much (and I'm fairly new to Drupal, too):
could someone clarify what the difference is?

In Drupal, I go to a page and if I want to change it I click the
Edit tab. Of course I have to register first and have write
permission. The wikis I've used have been exactly the same
way. I guess there are some wikis that let absolutely everyone
edit everything anonymously, but I can't imagine we'd want that
for a Chix journal (imagine the troll attacks we'd get!)
So how is a wiki different from a CMS like Drupal?

Or, to ask the question a different way: Exactly what are the
requirements here? Does Drupal meet them already? Do all wikis
meet them?

If we're considering asking our sysadmin volunteers to install
and maintain another software package, let's figure out what
the actual requirements are first.

	...Akkana