[Actionchix] Magazine Step 1: Set up wiki - volunteers?

Dana Jansens danakj at orodu.net
Wed Aug 22 21:01:33 UTC 2007

On 8/22/07, Isabelle Hurbain <isabelle.hurbain at pasithee.fr> wrote:
> Le Wed, 22 Aug 2007 12:56:40 -0700,
> "Selbak, Rolla N" <rolla.n.selbak at intel.com> a écrit :
>
> > Hey everyone,
> >
> > So now that we've got some good energy going, and it looks like a lot
> > of us are excited to really do this, I think the first step should be
> > to lock-down a wiki to use for:
> >
> > (1)- jotting down the notes and guidelines that we decide here on the
> > list.
> >
> > (2)- article submissions for evaluation, proof-reading, etc.
> >

> > Perhaps for (1), we don't need to set up a wiki just yet, maybe we can
> > use WikiChix or another wiki for this?
> >
> > Or maybe there is a volunteer(s) who already would like to set up a
> > wiki for LinuxChix, that would be cool as well.
>
> If needed I can do it - not tonight though cause it's almost 11PM here
> and I should really be under the duvet.
> I have a server, can be hosted there (I don't have any credential on
> the Linuxchix server) (and we still can use DNS magics to get
> wikimag.linuxchix.org pointing on my server anyway).
>
> If we go for this option, what kind of wiki do you like ? I'm not a big
> fan of Mediawiki because the ACL were, last time I checked, quite
> inexistant ; my two "reference" wiki are MoinMoin and Dokuwiki. Any
> preference from any of you?

I have experience setting up MediaWiki for my project's site, and
could do that again if wanted. (I don't have any kind of access to the
linuxchix machines either though.)  Isabelle - I believe the
permissions are all quite customizable, you can make anonymous users
unable to edit pages, or you can use groups to lock certain pages to
only specific people.  I don't have experience with the other wikis at
all though, maybe they are much better. :)

Dana