[Actionchix] Creating woman-friendly Linux on-line mag

Isabelle Hurbain isabelle.hurbain at pasithee.fr
Wed Aug 22 20:54:45 UTC 2007

Le Wed, 22 Aug 2007 15:35:43 -0500,
turtle <dreaded.night.turtle at gmail.com> a écrit :

(i cut a bit, hope you don't mind...)

> I've done page layout for many projects, including
> several for a local sf/fantasy convention (posters, program book,
> cookbook, chapbook, etc.).

Cool. My own skills are... well, let's say "autodidactic and not very
developed" ;)

> But it was required by the convention
> that I use MSPublisher for those.  (I've downloaded Scribus but
> haven't installed it yet due to me still having issues learning how
> to do basic things in slackware.)  So I'm willing to help with layout
> stuff if there are people willing to put up with a n00b to the
> software, but not the work.

Of course :)

> I'm also not 100% comfortable with wikis or IRC, so I'll have a bunch
> of stupid questions related to that as well.  I hope that's ok.

Of course, too ;)

> am, however, very comfortable with what goes in to making a
> publication (both for print and online) and would really love to get
> in on the editing/layout aspects.

That is VERY good to know!

> There are several online magazines that mail out pdf issues to their
> subscribers.  Generally I've found the most successful fiction
> magazines that do this have a few things that they post to their
> website which are free for anyone to read, a few teasers, and then
> the more in-depth articles/stories and a lot of other cool content is
> offered to subscribers for a fee.  Generally with the online
> magazines I'm familiar with, the fee should be small, so as to
> encourage people to go "Hey, why not? It's not expensive."

Why not. Need to discuss it. Note that for a FDL publication it CAN be
redistributed free of charge. But still, having the option of
subscribing can be a good idea. However, we would need to discuss how to
do that properly (legally and taxes-ly speaking)

> I think the linuxchix brand for the magazine would be ideal because
> it's already a recognized brand in the Internet community and it
> already has the woman-friendly feel, not to mention, linuxchix
> already makes it clear they do not support misandry, which is often
> something that scares men away from women-oriented publications.

Yup, I like that. I didn't think of it at the beginning, but there are
two or three mails that expressed this idea and I find it's a wonderful
one.

> Also, I know a few artists/photographers who do sf/fantasy/horror
> art.  I don't know how much that would fit in to linuxchix, but if we
> decide on a theme for our first issue, I could put out the word to
> see if anyone would be willing to donate artwork in exchange for
> recognition and a link to their website.

Yay! :)

Isa