[Actionchix] Brainstorm: Creating woman-friendly Linux on-line mag

AstroGirl astrogirl at spin.net.au
Wed Aug 22 20:23:12 UTC 2007

On Thu, 23 Aug 2007 1:31:33 am Melissa Draper wrote:
> Mackenzie Morgan wrote:
> > I just want to take a second to point out Scribus.  It's a FOSS Desktop
> > Publishing program, so it should have all the stuff for getting things
> > nicely laid out if there are to be PDFs available.
>
> Yeah, I've used Scribus. It is good enough for most things but in my
> experience, for a publishing suite it handles line-height in text really
> really really badly, which is a terrible shame. Basically, if your text
> is anything less than 12pt, it has huge gaps between lines, and if your
> text is anything more than 12pt, the gaps between lines diminishes until
> the text is stacked up on top of itself.
>
> However, if you know how to fix this, please let me know. I'd love to be
> able to use it more often.

I've been using Scribus a lot lately, and I've had the line-height issue only
once, and it was pretty simple to get around with big text. (I added an enter
before the offending text) Personally, I don't use many font sizes smaller
than 12 point anyway, but I think it would be solved by editing the style
from the Story Editor once the text has been imported into the text box.
There doesn't seem to be an easier way of adjusting the line space, but it is
do-able that way.

I'm also willing to offer my "services", although they're not fully developed
yet, I like to think I know Scribus a fair amount.. I'm an aspiring graphic
artist / desktop publisher - just havn't taken any official classes in it
yet - but I'm reading books and practicing in Scribus every day that I can.
If anyone would like to see the little collection I have so far, I'd be happy
to show it, in the name of improving my work, that is.

I've never designed anything as big as a zine before - I was actually looking
forward to seeing how it turned-out.. I assumed there'd be a talented graphic
artist or two around that would whip-it-up in no time.. ha, makes it sound
easy, although I know it isn't!!

AstroGirl