[Actionchix] HTML helping hands

chris lists at semioticpixels.com
Thu Mar 16 08:15:26 EST 2006

On Wed, 2006-03-15 at 06:41 -0800, Darlene Wallach wrote:

> I know some html - I use xemacs as my editor of choice. I'm willing
> to do some reading regarding "good HTML practices" if they are
> available online or will these books be enough:
>
> HTML - The Definitive Guide  - 3rd Edition
> by Chuck Musciano & Bill Kennedy
> Published by O'Reilly - August 1998
>
> Dynamic HTML - The Definitive Reference - 1st Edition
> by Danny Goodman
> Published by O'Reilly - July 1998

Darlene, these are really old books. Even though some of what they say
might still be true, common conventions have changed and the examples
are probably not very up to date. Also, the general ecology of the web
(e.g. browsers, platforms and access devices) has changed quite a bit in
the past 8 years.

You might want to take a look at the tutorials on
http://www.w3schools.com and

Some other O'Reilly books you might consider:

Cascading Style Sheets: The Definitive Guide,
2nd Edition
By Eric Meyer

HTML & XHTML: The Definitive Guide,
5th Edition
By Bill Kennedy, Chuck Musciano

Hope this helps - if you'd like more online resources I'll be happy to
post some links to a del.icio.us account for you.

Chris