[Actionchix] Design of linuxchix.org

Mary mary-linuxchix at puzzling.org
Wed Mar 15 22:38:06 EST 2006

At this stage, while the discussion of the new CMS is finishing up, we
can talk a little about what we want from the new design. Here's
some things that came up:

 - attractive :)

 - light-weight

 - standards compliant

 - accessible

Anything else? Val Henson has commissioned work on a logo, so logo work
will not be needed. (Design colour and logo colour may influence each
other of course.)

Discussions and small mockups to illustrate general outlines are welcome
at this stage. Please reply to this mail. Feel free to grab the front
page of linuxchix.org and modify it to illustrate your ideas.

I'd really appreciate it if people would make their design work under
the Creative Commons Sharealike 2.5 licence:
http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/2.5/ Some comments on this:
 - this will allow us to legally modify and update your work in future
 - this will allow other people in this discussion to integrate parts of
   your design into theirs (adding your name as credit)
 - chapters could modify your design for their sites
 - interested third parties could use your design with credit

I *do* want commercial use to be allowed because otherwise we have to
stop using your design the instant we sell anything (and there's often
calls for us to develop T-Shirts and the like). LinuxChix is
not-for-profit, but we may do some commerical things in future.

If you have some specific objection to the licence, by all means let us
know and perhaps we can select an alternative.

Once the CMS discussion is done, we'll move into a more formal design
'contest' (in quotes because collaboration and consensus will still be
encouraged.)

-Mary