[Actionchix] State of the new website

Akkana Peck akkana at shallowsky.com
Sun Jun 25 19:55:36 UTC 2006

chris writes:
> I just added 2 documents to the bottom of the page that are a
> work-in-progress to http://mosshead.com/projects/linuxchix/
>
> They are an initial listing out of content types and a start on a style
> guide for people who want to help out.

Chris, is there any way you could make this stuff available as html?
I think a lot more people might look at it if we could just view it
in a browser rather than downloading it, opening a PDF viewer, then
rotating the content 90 degrees for each new document.  And after
all, we are ultimately discussing the design of an html web site.

Even for the "information architecture" document (where I can see
why you wanted to be able to show boxes and lines), it actually
would have been easier for me to read if it had been just a straight
html list -- not because a straight html list is easier to read than
a diagram, but because what that document is ultimately discussing
(I think! Please correct me if I'm wrong) is the html list that would
show up in the navigation sidebar of the site. So when reading the
flowchart diagram I was mentally translating the horizontal
column of boxes into a vertical html list as it might appear on a
real site.

By showing us Information Architecture flowcharts, you're limiting
the feedback to people who know how to read Information Architecture
flowcharts (or are willing to try learning). But the feedback you
really need is from people who will be using the web site.

--
	...Akkana
    Check out my book, "Beginning GIMP: From Novice to Professional".