[Actionchix] State of the new website

Mary Gardiner mary-linuxchix at puzzling.org
Sun Jun 25 07:37:00 UTC 2006

On Sat, Jun 24, 2006, chris wrote:
> http://mosshead.com/projects/linuxchix/files/linuxchixIA-2.pdf is the
> information architecture work that I submitted in May.

Ok, I'll have a look and let you know by Wednesday if I have any
particular thoughts. Other people: please comment if you read it, even
if your thoughts are "seems good". This is the plan we're going to work
with, barring serious obstacles.

> The old site with it's current inconsistent architecture is more work to
> develop than the new site will be with a consistent architecture. So,
> it's not even very rewarding to do twice the work on the old site when
> we could just build the new site once and be done with it ... and have
> something that looks decent too.

I'm concerned about throwing the content of the old one away though. For
example, a lot of work has gone into things like the book reviews, and
I think people would be upset if it vanishes without at least some
restoration plan. I'm probably misunderstanding you about what kind of
content migration will take place. I'll read your document and then
expand further on this if we have any disagreement.

> technically, the site is already in plone, it just needs stylesheets,
> content types and a bunch of extra templates to maintain it's
> inconsistencies.
>
> > 5. Redesign
> >
> > We only ever had one official entry to our design competition, by Chris.
> and Amy who is on these lists, but not very vocal.

Sorry Amy!

> Amy and I put a lot of energy/time into wrapping our heads around the
> architecture, page layout and design of the Linuxchix site, however we
> never did receive any feedback. If everybody really hates it we'd like
> to know.

This is my fault: I'm meant to be coordinating the move and I dropped
the ball. I will look over both your information architecture document
and the site by Wednesday and comment further, hopefully with a plan for
moving to it.

-Mary