[Actionchix] Re: Moving linuxchix.org to Plone

Gloria W strangest at comcast.net
Fri Jul 28 02:55:22 UTC 2006

Mary Gardiner wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 27, 2006, Val Henson wrote:
>
>> I understand the goal of helping LinuxChix learn system administration
>> through administering the LC servers.  However, I think that this may
>> not be the best time for a learning experience.  I am concerned that
>> if the web site upgrade takes too long (at this point I am estimating
>> 1 year, start to finish), we'll lose our momentum.  Trying to schedule
>> a shared screen session looks like it will add a lot of overhead and
>> delay.
>>

> I share Val's concerns about the delay, but I think a week or so is
> acceptable. Jen, Gloria: if you can get Dancer's agreement and schedule
> a date and by the 5th August when I come back from holidays, then go
> right ahead.

Will do.  This weekend would be good, since I have a lull in my
freelance work.
Jen, Dancer, let me know if you need my phone number, and I'll pass it
to you.

Regarding women, learning experiences, and Linux:

(1) I need some help setting up the GrrlCamp server.
I have decided to use Trac for a wiki and project tracking tool. But the
HTTP authorization isn't working from within Trac as a standalone
server. Plus, I'd love for the templates to be configured to suit our
needs.
Any volunteers? Let me know and I'll give you a login to my server, and
you can have at it. If you crash it, no worries. I can undo anything you
can do.

(2) How many of you would like to install Fedora Core 5 as a dual boot
OS on your PCs? If so, you're on your way to getting experience with
Linux systems administration. Once you do this, I'll show you how our
machines can communicate with each other, how to manage a firewall, how
to allow safe remote logins, etc. Contact me, and I can help you get
started.

Gloria