[Actionchix] Re: [Issues] OK that *was* a little negative - here's the positive side of me!

Mel Chua mallory.chua at students.olin.edu
Wed Jun 22 12:43:27 EST 2005

If I may resummarize (badly) what I think I've been hearing on the
issues list...

1. It would be great to see more women develop open-source software,
because we are a fairly untapped group with talents and skills and an
unique perspective that can Do Cool Stuff.
2. We want to encourage women  to get involved with technical issues -
to become beginners and start learning.
3. We want to encourage and help women that have learned cool things to
be able to use them to help others - help them channel and leverage
their energy for maximum benefit.
4. How do we do this?

Here's a thought.

Google's Summer of Code sounds wonderful. (App deadline is over now, but
the page and explanations are still up at
http://code.google.com/summerofcode.html) Why not sponsor something like
it - don't necessarily go for a full-fledged distro right out, but have
the experienced programmers volunteer as mentors to the less experienced
ones, have everyone post project suggestions - start with small, very
doable things that we can actually do well; have a three-month (or so)
"project time" so everyone feels like they're pulling together and we'll
help each other along towards the same goal of Get Project Done By X
Date (as opposed to having projects start and end pell-mell), and... go
from there? Kind of like an apprenticeship. One thing I've seen, being a
teenage girl with an interest in open source, is that it's /really,
really hard /to find a good mentor. And nothing against males at all - I
have had wonderful male teachers - but it makes a difference, really, to
have a strong female mentor that really knows her stuff.

For those who are computer-comfy but haven't programmed before, projects
can go from learning html and web-admin stuff and keeping the Linuxchix
Summer of Code website up to date, or - I saw my roommate (a 19 year old
female), who had never programmed and was very nervous about anything
involving computers, go from that - to turning out a graphical poker
game you could play over the campus network in python - within a
semester. And this was on top of all her other classes and clubs and
choir and drama, so it's not like she devoted hours and hours daily to
it; just a couple hours a week. So small learn-as-you-go projects are
totally doable.

For those who want to get computer (or Linux) comfy, I've had a design
project in mind that could turn into the Linuxchix distro, possibly. I'm
really into user interface design, and I'd love to have a design team
made of folks across all skill levels - from "what's a mouse?" to "I can
patch kernels in my sleep!" (leaning more towards the former) to work
with, objective being to create a killer open-source "family machine."
You know, the computer you'd have in your living room or by the kitchen
or otherwise acting as your "general house computer." Everything from
the physical hardware to the software interface to the... heck, you
could wire it to your bathroom lights, if you really wanted - would be
open to questioning and overhauling, and the goal would be to make it as
"hack-friendly" as possible. To be so friendly and intuitive as to
/encourage /people to play around, make their own things - because
that's how you get interested, that's how you learn.

Now, I don't know a lot about anything, and I could be talking crazy
here. I'm a student, I'm new to this, and I probably rank near the
bottom in terms of Linux knowledge, but... I'm trying to learn, and I'd
like to Do Something. Something to help out. Any thoughts?

-Mel